This page offers help with planning a workshop, class, or training session for ITS staff, IT Partners, or members of the Yale community. (Please note that this does not apply to OCM-created training associated with funded projects.)
When in the planning stages, consider the following:
- Instructor: If you need to hire an outside instructor, please consult with Vendor Management.
- Audience: How you set up your training (including date, location, and advertising) will vary depending on who you are targeting.
- Date and times: Ensure that the dates of your training do not conflict with other events and academic calendars.
- Location: Choose a location that is convenient to your audience and capable of supporting your technology needs. When booking a space, remember to account for set up and clean up time.
- Registration: Registration, rosters, and training reminders are handled by the TMS system. Your request for assistance (see below) will connect you will an administrator who will set up your training in TMS.
- Recording/webcasting: Some spaces allow you to record your session or allow for online attendees.
- Advertising: Let your audience know about your training through targeted emails, posters, the IT Events Calendar, Monday Morning News, social media, and other communication channels.
- Alternative/existing training resources: Research possible learning opportunities on Lynda.com and Skillsoft to replace or supplement instructor-led training.
- Training template: Use this Excel spreadsheet to help you plan your training.
How to Request Help With Setting Up Training
For assistance, submit a proposal using ServiceNow. Here’s how:
- Go to http://yale.service-now.com
- Create a New Incident (it will converts to a request automatically and route to the correct Assignment Group once you have provided the correct Business Service (ITS Strategy & Management > Staff Development > Staff Training and Events) and Category (Scheduling & Support).
- Once converted to a request, use the short and long descriptions to tell us about the topic that you’d like to share. Be sure to specific that you need help arranging a class or training session.
- Click the Order Now button and you are done. You will be contacted.