Due to unanticipated problems, a Yale application or service may become unavailable.
Immediately inform and work with the Major Incident Manager - Cheryl Boeher.
See: Major Incident Process (ServiceNow KB0003747)
Create a KB and link to Incident or Problem ticket. For instructions on how to create a knowledgebase article, login to ServiceNow and view KB0001798.
Brief or suspected outage?
- If the outage is expected to be 15 minutes or less post to the System Status page.
- If there is suspicion of an outage, post to the System Status page.
- Email request to email@example.com to request posting. The firstname.lastname@example.org email account reaches a team of people - Communications, ITS Help Desk, Major Incident Manager, and the Data Center - which ensures that these central points of contact are getting the same information.
- When there is a confirmed outage to a service that impacts a large population or is expected to be unavailable for an unknown or extended amount of time, a communication may be sent to affected individuals or the entire campus.
- The request must be approved by Communications, the Major Incident Manager, and the Service Owner (additional approvals may be needed if campus-wide).
- When the Major Incident Manager feels an issue cannot be resolved within a reasonable amount of time and normal communication vehicles (email/status page) are not available, a Yale Alert notification may be sent.
- Forward approved message to email@example.com to request posting be added to the System Status Page if posting has not yet been made. The firstname.lastname@example.org email account reaches a team of people - Communications, ITS Help Desk, Major Incident Manager, and the Data Center - which ensures that these central points of contact are getting the same information.
- Send system status updates to email@example.com on a regular basis to keep the community informed.
- Send system status update to firstname.lastname@example.org when issue has been resolved.
Priority One/Major Incident?
Includes: Active Directory | CAS | Data Center | DNS/DHCP | DUO | Email | F5 load balancer | Firewalls/DC | Internet | Network – DC | OID | Storage | VM Infrastructure | Yale VPN
In most cases, a Priority 1/Major Incident occurs with services that broadly affect multiple applications/users at once.
- Please follow the ServiceNow process/procedures found in KB0003747
- The eCAB addresses requests for change due to an urgent business need that occurs out of the normal change cycle that impacts a critical IT service requiring an immediate change to correct the problem. Only the Change Manager or the designee has the authority to approve or reject an emergency change with the advice or recommendations from the eCAB members. Send request to eCAB@yale.edu