Cheryl Boeher, Director, Operations Center, and Major Incident & Problem Manager
Under supervision of the Manager of Network Operations, provide day-to-day operational support and coordination for all aspects of the Campus Data Network. Establish and maintain network performance by building net configurations and connections and troubleshooting network problems. Assist in development and maintenance of network communications. Use knowledge of LAN / WAN / WIFI systems to help install and manage internal and external networks.
By the end of the 6 months opportunity, the candidate should be able to:
- Be able to update/make changes to Traverse to add/remove a device along with related tests.
- Be able to rack and wire a new appliance/switch/router
- Be able to troubleshoot network problems, creating Service Now tickets
- Updating configurations
- Understand impact and urgency of each event
- Escalate to Network Engineering when appropriate
- Update documentation/maps (visio) with changes in the network topology
- Be able to use the following tools;
- Proteus to register devices, assign ip addresses, etc..
- Disconnect database to block (disable/enable) switch ports causing issues or security reasons
- Wifi management: Airwave to troubleshoot and manage wifi devices and clients, along with Aruba network switches
- Juniper SPACE management to manage Juniper switches
- Unix log.net.yale.edu server to perform network ping tests, and logging onto network infrastructure
- Be able to configure, perform routine maintenance, and troubleshoot HP, Aruba, and Juniper edge network switches
- Be able to configure, provision, and troubleshoot Aruba wifi access points
- Perform shipping and receiving. Check in new equipment. Send out failed network equipment.
The candidate would have as many of these skills and abilities as possible:
- Knowledge of Cisco and/or Juniper IOS network operating system.
- Knowledge of Aruba networks wireless system.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues and clients in the University community under pressure and against deadline.
- Knowledge and understanding of ITIL.
- Understanding of the OSI model.
IT Fields of Interest
- Computer Science
- Technical Support
- Electrical Engineering
- Desktop and Network support skills
- System administration skills
- Team player
- Working understanding of IP addressing.
- Full understanding of TCP/IP networking.
Resources for training related to this position:
- Network Troubleshooting (Lynda.com)
- Cisco, Juniper, or Aruba networks training (speak with your supervisor if interested)