This page is home to training resources and information about ITIL, ITS’s chosen framework for Service Management. You will find a full range of options from quick guides and short videos to the full ITIL Foundations Certification course.
ITIL Overview Online Course
For a general overview of Service Management and ITIL and other related topics, please go through these quick online lessons (Yale login required):
- What is Service Management? – Lynda.com (3:51)
- What is ITIL? – Lynda.com (5:35)
Service Management and ITIL Resources at Yale ITS
- To check for occasional information sessions, training, and related events taking place here at Yale, visit the events calendar.
- Search the ITS Website for news and events on Service Management.
ITIL Foundations Certification
ITS requires that all staff obtain the ITIL Foundations certification. You can prepare to pass the Foundations certification exams via the Yale ITS Skillsoft system available to all Yale IT staff. The Skillsoft system is a self-paced e-learning tool that delivers training on a variety of topics relevant to IT professionals. Some units of ITIL Intermediate are also available in Skillsoft. Courses necessary to prepare for the ITIL Foundations certification are detailed on the front page of the Yale Skillsoft site. Access the IT Courseware Collection at:
Username: Your Yale email address
Password: welcome (password change forced upon initial login)
For access to the Skillsoft system or to ask a question about this service, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional exam preparation resources can be found via Yale’s Lynda.com portal (yale.edu/lynda). Lynda offers additional ITIL training sessions also helpful in preparing for certification exams. Yale’s Lynda portal is behind CAS, requiring access credentials of Yale NetID and Password.
To successfully earn the ITIL Foundations certification, the recommendation is to set aside a full week of dedicated time to complete the Skillsoft and Lynda sessions, study and take test preps. Once prepared to take the exam, ITS staff can request assistance with the online exam order via email to email@example.com. The Yale Office of the CIO will cover the cost of one exam ($225) via Exin.com for Yale ITS staff members.
ITIL certification exams can be requested at:
Exin ITIL Foundations Exam Details:
60 minute exam
21 days to take exam after registering
Can be taken online with a camera equipped laptop.
The length of time required to complete the Skillsoft online training sessions is about 18 hours, and is broken down as follows:
· ITIL® and the Service Lifecycle - 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
· Service Strategy Fundamentals - 2 Hours, 30 Minutes
· Service Strategy Processes - 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
· Service Design Fundamentals -1 Hour, 30 Minutes
· Service Design Processes - 2 Hours, 30 Minutes
· Service Transition Processes and Policies - 2 Hours, 30 Minutes
· Introduction to Service Operation - 1 Hour
· Service Operation Processes - 2 Hours
· Continual Service Improvement - 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
· TestPrep ITIL Foundation – approximately 1 Hour